There are countless people who wonder about God’s calling and missions. They have sincere and relevant questions. However, they do not know where to get straightforward answers. Look no further! You have found the place!
Basic International Missionary Institute
• Camp BIMI is staffed by experienced BIMI missionaries who answer all your questions.
• A strong foundation in missions is provided.
• Forty hours of classes pertaining to preparation and reality of missionary life and service are taught.
• No one is "talked into missions."
• Each one is educated beyond the concept of adventure and excitement that usually surrounds the idea of being a missionary. Some do change their minds by week's end and that is good because they can then discover what special things the Lord has for them to accomplish in another area of ministry or vocation.
• Churches and pastors are benefited. Camp BIMI helps to prevent missionary dropouts in the future. From the time students know missions is God's calling, until they leave for the field, we are available to our alumni!
Our goal is to combat missionary casualties. Thus, Camp BIMI teaches participants the realities of missionary life and service before they make that final commitment.
Dr. Gerry Baughman, founder of Camp BIMI, stated, "Speaking from experience and exposure in missions since 1965, I have listened intently as missionaries, from many mission boards, sadly share why they left the mission field." Each story has a common thread. In response, we have strategically targeted those "thread" areas and designed a focused, yet relaxing, environment to educate and encourage potential missionaries.
It is important to understand that Camp BIMI will not replace your college education, even if you are a mission’s major. It is comparable to a college modular (seven days in length) and will further enhance your preparation for the mission field. Several Christian colleges give college credits for those who complete Camp BIMI. Camp BIMI I covers the basics of missions. Camp BIMI II is comprised of advanced classes and practical workshops for those continuing to actively pursue missionary life and service. Camp BIMI III covers critical topics that challenge, advise and encourage alumni in their pursuit of missions.
SMART is Student Missionary Apprentice Reality Training, and it is exclusively for Camp BIMI alumni who are 18 years of age or older. Several Christian colleges give college credit for the completion of a SMART trip.
Why is it unique? Because it is designed to simulate actually being a missionary and going through each process from beginning to end—from deputation to furlough—and everything in between. Upon completion of a “mini-deputation,” SMART team members travel to two culturally distinct fields for a period of four weeks. Complete immersion—living as the people do, eating national foods, learning new languages, and participating in various ministries—helps participants KNOW if missions is really for them. SMART provides excellent practical exposure to a wide variety of cultural differences and missionary work. All SMART students are evaluated and must be involved in Bible and tract distribution, evangelism through a national church, and a physical work project. Upon their return, team members are required to create displays, compose prayer letter reports, and present their ministries to their home churches.
Our next SMART Trip is scheduled for May 20–29, 2019. We are planning to be with BIMI missionaries Mike and Cindy Haley in Botswana, Africa. The trip will be led by our Africa Director, Eric Bohman. Please remember that you must have attended Camp BIMI I in order to participate in a SMART Trip.
• Must be at least age 16 or entering junior year of high school
• College students and single professionals (any age)
• Married couples (any age)
• Active in your local church?