To view this page ensure that Adobe Flash Player version 11.1.0 or greater is installed.

Patient Persistence A Lifelong Ministry in France By Gail Huffman After gradu- ating from Te n n e s s e e Temple University in 1969 and travel- ing on deputation, we (Bob and Gail Huffman) and our two little girls ar- rived in France with the desire to share Christ’s love with the French and estab- lish a work in the place God had chosen for us. After settling in the Paris sub- urbs, our first concern was learning the language. We registered at the Alliance Francaise and began studying a half day each: Bob in the morning—me in the af- ternoon, allowing one of us to stay with our younger child, age two. Our six- year-old began first grade in the public school and learned to speak French flu- ently in four months. The schools were quite good, and we realized our children would be a main source for making per- sonal contacts. In addition to classes, we had a private tutor who helped us im- mensely. During this time, we offered free conversational English gatherings and had a few young people come. Later a Bible Club for the neighborhood chil- dren was added. When scouting the area, we discovered a complete new cite (city) being built on the outskirts of a neighboring town with apartments for over 20,000 people. A new train station, post office, and police station, along with banks and businesses, were projected but no churches. We rented an apartment and began making contacts through English classes and a Bible Club. We also shared our burden with the pastor of the French church we attended, and he gave us the name and 20 BIMI WORLD Number 3, 2015 address of a Christian family who had moved into that area. With their six girls the Bible Club flourished and we soon began Sunday morning services in our living room. The guardian of our 20-floor building learned we were having meetings for the public in our apartment and informed us that this was not acceptable. The choice was to stop the meetings or move out. We found a house to rent in a nearby neighborhood. The garage became our chapel. For five years we made acquaintance with neighbors, showed films, put up Gospel posters, distributed tracts, and held meetings. The Lord blessed and in addition to two families who knew the Lord, we saw several teens come to Christ, be baptized, and become faithful. The attendance was around 50 on Sunday mornings. Just before our second furlough, the owner told us he would need his house back in three months. We asked for an extension of two months and left as planned. We cut our time in the States and upon returning moved out, put our furniture in storage, and stayed with friends until we found an old dilapidated house for rent. There was nothing else available that would hold our family of six, accommodate another missionary family going to Africa, and be large enough for continuing our meetings. On Sunday mornings we pushed the table back and set up chairs in the dining room for services. The move left some without transporta- tion so we purchased a van to pick them